Current Prize Drawing:
$50 Gift Certificate
Over the past decade, the school dress code has become an increasingly common policy in many communities worldwide. As opposed to the requirements of students to wear specific clothing in the form of uniforms, dress codes provide guidelines through which students are allowed to wear any clothing that meets the school's requirements, whether they pertain to the color, style or cut of the clothing. Consequently, school dress codes are designed to create a certain atmosphere in a school while providing students with a bit of freedom of expression through their wardrobe.
And yet, while many parents applaud the demand of school dress codes as a way to ensure that their children are dressed properly, others question whether the requirement of dress codes in school eliminates their child's individualism.
Experts claim that there are many benefits of school dress codes. Here are some of the most important advantages:
1) A dress code promotes a more serious school atmosphere which emphasizes academics and promotes good behavior.
2) Dress codes have proven to increase student achievement by encouraging students to concentrate more on their studies and less on their wardrobe. A de-emphasis on clothing can also save money, as there will be less pressure to keep up with expensive trends and fashions.
3) Dress codes in school settings reduce social conflict and peer pressure that may be associated with appearance.
4) Studies indicate that a school dress code can reduces the prevalence of certain behaviors which are often expressed through wardrobe such as violence or promiscuity.
5) As opposed to uniforms, dress codes still allow students to wear what they want which leaves students with a sense of choice and expression.
While teenagers will always find a way to express themselves, imposing boundaries can prevent them from resorting to extremes that can sometimes lead to undesirable consequences. School dress codes are a way to teach students the importance of a respectable appearance which is a lesson that can positively impact their self-respect and self-esteem.